Monday, April 10, 2006

Starting from the beginning. People ask me how this trip came to pass. The answer is simple. I just knew I needed to go. The calling was very loud so I thought it best to listen. I have always loved Africa. Prior adventures with my parents have taken me to Kenya, Tanzania, South Africa, Namibia and I also went to Egypt with Don and Joey. But something was different this time. I know I needed to try to help. I bug really bit when Erika and I went to New Orleans to help after the hurricane. Seems like it we all acted on the "each one reach one" idea...we'd all be in a better place. So thus began the journey. 3 weeks ago I sent emails to Oprah and 3 other organizations asking if they needed help. One organization was Compassion International…a Christian group that helps build schools, provides medical attention etc. They replied back that they don't do solo trips. I sent back a thank you reply and said I left it in God's hands. They wrote back a week later and said that the leader in Rwanda and Ethiopia would take me. They then confirmed Rwanda....but no further contact. Finally a week ago I got a contact in Rwanda and booked my trip. It's a bit of wing and prayer as many of the details are still limited. I know that I am going to help some people that are friends of Compassion Intl start up a home for Orphans. I know that I will be in Kigali, Rwanda...the capital city. I will be staying at the home which has kids from 2 weeks old to 7 years. When I offered to bring something to help they declined. But after 4 offers, they finally said yes. Bit by bit I learned of their needs. Within one weeks time the troops were assembled. People donated new and used items. We collected enough to fill up 5 more bags that I brought. Cost per additional bag of 50lbs is $150. So when we hit 3 extra bags, we asked if they would prefer the $ or the supplies. They said the money would be more helpful at this time. We checked on shipping DHL etc. Cost would be double. Thus, we've got the right plan. It's rainy season there now. So temps are 60-80 degrees and lots of rain. I'll also be going out in the rural area to learn of other programs in need. I am especially thankful to my co-workers at CM that are going to be swamped this week and my parents who aren't so sure about there daughter going solo half way around the world. Needless to say, this is an amazing way to spend Easter. That's it for now...but hopefully that gives you a bit of the big picture. God planted the seed. I just listened.

No comments: