Saturday, April 22, 2006

Monday continued. Bicycles serve for taxies in the country vs. motorcycles in the city. The homes are much much more sparse. Mud and straw serves as the walls for most. The turn up the final road was beyond bumpy. Thank God for an SUV. The neighbors all waved and smiled we weaved our way through the streets. Poverty is an understatement for the situation in the rural areas. But the people break a smile easily making due with the lot that life had dealt them. A perfect time for my Dad's often heard saying "there, but for the grace of God go I". Mbanda made the point United Nations Secretary General Kofi Annan grew up in such a place. He pointed to the clear evidence that education will solve many of the world’s issues. I pondered the thought as we continued our slow, steady and forward moment through a land too forgotten. Just short of our destination, we had to back upon a road to let a larger truck go through. We met a private safari vehicle who told us to turn back as the road ahead was not passable. He led us down an alternate route, one that I don’t think we could have found on our own. Another travel angel. At the end of the journey was a lovely hotel. Hot water, shower...my first in 1.5 weeks...I can hardly wait. Cocktails and dinner was filled with lots of conversation about The Home. I wanted to truly understand the needs. It’s important for you to understand that at no time did they drive any of these conversations. They were simply thrilled that we as a MN team had done what we had for this two week journey. I think my goal will be simple :50 people who want to donate $50/month. Plus some appeals for cows, gardens, two more homes, education etc. This all seems quite do-able to me. When we left the home today Fabiola said "goodbye"...I wish I could have you hear the accent right in writing...but it's soooo cute. “Goooood Bi.” It was the first time she connected the word to it's meaning. You go girl! Oh dear bright child. Then the two other older ones joined in. I can't imagine saying goodbye on friday. My heart aches just with the thought. At dinner we chatted with a woman who works at the US Embassy in Ghana and her friend from Dell computers. I boldly asked about their grants/foundation policies to see if we could get computers for the kids. Hmm, that wasn't too hard. Mbanda and Chantal were surprised, if not secretly delighted with my question. She is going to send me the contact info. Suddenly the woman (that’s me) who is afraid to ask for money has taken another step in faith to help these sweet children. She turned out to be a scuba diver, so we had much to talk about. I head to bed missing the children and our evening lessons. I also have a brain cell or two thinking about the CM team who has just finished rehearsing in KC getting ready for the big meeting.

No comments: