Monday, January 18, 2010

Some thoughts on Kristen.

As I wrote in my blog about a week ago it is rare to find people in your professional life that crossover so warmly in your personal life. Kristen Cavallo is one of those special people for me. She has been a supporter of New Hope Homes from the beginning. Strategically and financially she has been there to help me think of ways to get our kids the help they need. For the past 3 years she has been talking about coming to Rwanda. As I greeted her and her 3 massive boxes at the airport in Kigali I said “I just can’t believe that you are here”. I must have said it at least a few times each day. Having Liles with us was a real blessing, but I didn’t get to meet him in person until he arrived in Kigali. Kristen however is someone I have been sharing my hopes and dreams about our New Hope Homes kids for the past 3+ years. She has sent clothes, shoes and medicine over the years that really helped. Now to have her actually meet the kids and get to know each of them is indescribable. To have someone that I can now discuss things like – what if we did this or that? What special needs do you see for this child? Do you think we should raise funds to get Esther to SunRise boarding school etc etc.? Having someone who really knows the unique personalities of each of the kids is precious. But, hey, that’s how I benefit and the kids benefit. Here’s what I saw about Kristen’s visit. First she was swamped at work before her departure but still found time to reach out lots of people who graciously filled her massive boxes with supplies. From 31 sets of sheets, to educational games and toys she certainly did not come empty handed. Prior to her trip, one day I said…”Oh I just can’t wait to see both of us with kids piled on top of each of us playing.” Her reply – oh wait, didn’t I mention, I would rather focus on transformational things like building the chicken coop or painting things or other things that can have a long term impact on them. I’m not really into having a pile of kids hanging on me”. Ahh, that was then. This is now. I giggled when I saw Kristen usually 5-6 kids deep sitting on her lap or trying to hold her hands or sitting as close as possible working on a puzzle as she dished out oodles of love and hugs. One of the best images was 3 kids surrounding her trying to braid her hair into endless cornrows or snotty runny nosed kids slathering all their love on her and she them. Kristen she made very special connections with lots of the kids, most especially Esther and Lionel. Esther was never far from her side or lap and Lionel loved that she would spend hours reading to him or letting him read to her. All the kids adored her but special connections are special connections. And of course Sande’s relationship with her husband Ian was also with Kristen. She also embraced the transformational things like sorting through clothes, restructing the supply rooms to make more sense and helping with the clothing cubbies that were in the process of being finished when we left. Let’s not forget her beautiful spirit on the crazy road to Kibeho. Not many people I know would have embraced it as such. It’s possible that Kristen’s next journey to New Hope Homes will be without me as she and her husband Ian may try to go together. While I would hate to miss the opportunity to spend time with our kids together, I love that she too has fallen in love with these kids and is committed to help seeing them through. It indeed takes a village.

No comments: