Thursday, April 12, 2007

A powerful day

Tuesday It started out the same the others. Kids time. I had a very restless night as I kept dreaming about adopting Dorene/Kababy. Now that Chantal is actively exploring adoption for these kids the world has turned upside down. She has had so many people asks if these kids are adoptable that she finally decided she needed to explore it. Her vision was to have 4 homes with 10 kids each and raise them as her own, but now feels that if adoption is the right avenue we will be able to help so many more kids. If you recall, Dorene was the little girl i fell in love with last time. I wasn't sure how I would feel this time but we seem linked in a very unexplainable way. Dorene's mom was just 13 or 14 when Dorene was born. She is a bi-product of rape. If her mom would now agree to let her be adopted she, along with the other kids would be made available to the right parents. Perhaps as early as the next 6 months. The thought of not seeing her again seems simply unimaginable. This new twist may open up a new role for me in helping matching families to these kids in the states. That would include home visits on weekends when i am not working. It would be very exciting to stay connected to all of these kids in an important way. This new twist is part of everything that I love about Rwanda and God's plans. We simply will be open to the right plan and see where He leads us. He clearly has a plan for all involved. So from 2:30 to 6:30 am i twisted and turned in my bed trying to imagine bringing her home. Trying to imagine what our life would be like together. How she would fit into the wonderful families on Abbott. Exciting and Frightening all at the same time. How my parents would react to finally having a grandchild. How could it all work? Not a clue. So I will simply pray and let God do the rest. The kids were wonderful as I made my usual trek up the dirt road to the 1st home for electricity. Chantal arrived and we headed out to take photos for the website. Our first stop was to meet a Pastor and present him with 2 bikes that he could give to 2 ministers in other villages. The bike will allow him to serve many more people in needs. Foot speed vs bike speed is very different. He was very excited to present them. We paid about $90us for each bike which was fitted with a light and bell. Chantal looks forward to getting them bikes that Tom Ritchie is building as they are built for this rugged terrain and these are not. But for now, we do the best we can. The road to the bike shop was rugged and dusty. People lined the streets for as far as the eye could see. I have daily reminders that this is the most densely populated country in the continent. We returned to the 1st home. There was a woman there who looked very familiar to me. I thought she was a friend of Chantal's that I met on the last trip, but I simply couldn't place her. I greeted her warmly and went inside. Chantal asked me if I remembered her. I explained that I couldn't place her. She is Paul and Rose Mary's mom!!!!!!! The woman dying of Aids that gave us her children last year. We had been helping her in her home but then her health took a dramatic turn so she decided it was time to give the kids to New Hope Homes. In December she nearly died. Then by the Grace of God some people took her in allowing her to sleeping in the back of their home and took great care of her and got her medicine. She looked amazingly better. She said she felt much better but we all knew that it is not likely to be sustainable. I was curious how her kids would be with her. They recognize her but didn't cling not spend alot of time trying to get into her arms. Paul sat with her but didn't seem to feel that bond that was such a painful separation a year ago. To a 3 year old a year is a long long time. Rosemary had no interest. It as painful and joyous at the same time. Clearly the love and safety that the kids feel in our homes is real. Chantal brooched the subject of adoption with her as she will now do with whomever brings a child to the home. It was a painful discussion as the woman wanted to do what is best for her kids yet didn't want to face the reality that they would be living far away. Chantal told her to simply think about it. She already has a family who wants to adopt both of them and bring them to Texas. The family is the daughter of the people who funded the construction of the second home. This is all suddenly becoming so real. We also visited with an HIV positive woman who was caring for her mother and 3 of her dead brother's kids. Chantal met her when she had applied for a job to be the mom of the 2nd home. When Chantal heard her story she said her first obligation is to continue the important role that she already has in caring for her family. Her home was very simple. 4 rooms in a home the size of my living room. The living room had 4 chairs and a couch made of wood. Rugged construction but functional. Atop the wood sat foam cushions. Literally foam. Yellow 3 inch foam. The 1st bedroom was for the mom and 2 kids. they shared a double bed that had a 2 foot sag in the middle. A simple spread covered it. 4 items of clothing hung on the wall via a hook. Next we visited grandma's room. She had a twin bed with a matching sag. 3 items of clothing hung on the wall along with a cross and some beads. The back room was for some basic supplies. A small mud hut in the back served as the kitchen. She had a pot simmering on the ground on some timber. Yes, simple by functional.The 13 year old sleeps on the floor in the living room or the foam couch. Chantal is trying to help this woman as best she can. She asked her to put together a proposal to make some money. She did a wonderful job creating a reasonable p&l. She would like to start a store selling beans, rice, sugar etc. It would take $400 to do it right and get the supplies she needs along with the transportation. If you are interested in helping her let me know and we and direct your tax deductible contribution via CALM directly to her. I admire her sense of responsibility for her family and her desire to uplift her family by working hard vs asking for handouts. As you can see, the needs are endless. Chantal and Mbanda give freely but they too must honor their responsibility to their family. Enough heavy stuff. How about some joy? As you know we gathered about $500 to let the 9 member staff of the homes buy new clothes for easter. We were unable to get them done in time but came up with a plan that was great. We decided to have the clothes made at the market near the homes. the staff said it would be wonderful so the cost dropped in half vs doing to town. Based on that we gave everyone $25...nearly a months wage. We said they had to buy at least on article of clothing and could do what they wanted to with the rest. They could buy another outfit or save it for an important need they had. They were speechless. Literally. I expected them to jump for joy but they just stood there trying to take it in. Tears filled their eyes as they thanked me. I told them it was friends of mine, not me. They said that I was the person that they could see before their eyes so they would thank me and I should pass along their thanks and blessing to you. It was incredibly sincere. The clothes should be ready before my departure thursday afternoon so we are going to do a photo shoot with them. Chantal gave me a lift back to the city to get a dress of my own and buy some balls that the kids use here. I am bringing them back to the kids on abbott and zenith so they can see them. How surprised will they be when they see that they are made of banana leaves and twine. Genius! Surely to be a show and tell favorite. I started to get waves of tears knowing that I ahve just 36 more hours before I leave. Walking to the 1st home with Issach and Lionel hands in each of mine has simply become routine. A daily joy in life. We climb the dusty hill, sing a song or work on my language skills as people walk by stare and say hello. Suddenly routine is precious again. Each step is important. Every time any of the kids calls out "miss donna" or today "mama miss donna" my heart is filled with joy. These kids have such hope in their lives now that New Hope Homes is real. Think of their lives pre and post getting into these homes. There is such love here. They quickly become a family. Everytime Lionel does something well he goes running to show is new mom and she praises his creativity. Just like in any home anywhere. The difference is this home as only been a unit for 2 months. Blessed to say the least. Paper is a rare commodity so when i brought out a tablet of paper vs the etch a sketch board the boys got very excited. We did letters and numbers. Then Issach drew some pictures on his own. Starting with a cross. Gotta love that kid. I am growing closer and closer to him with each passing day. I can only imagine how he would florish on Abbott. We also made 2 paper airplanes that they thought were remarkable. Mom even gave it a whirl. The evening was our normal ritual of board games. Concentration being the favorite. We even got mom to play tonight. She was a stitch. She kept peeking when it wasn't her turn. So would give her a little "oi ya mama". "No mama". She laughed. But, when she did it again I asked for her hand and gave it little smack. She rolled back and howled in laughter. About 20 mins later she did it again so i rolled her over an gave her a little smack on her behind. We all laughed so much my gut hurt. Mind you, all of this is taking place on a plastic rug on a concert floor with the boys cranking the lights so we could see the boards. The boys have gotten quite smart about the game. We've played it so many times that there a marks on key cards...so if you study them closely and keep it locked in your head you could know which ones were matches. Perhaps it was a bit mark from a child or a speck of dirt. They have noticed each one of them and can match about 6 without even trying. The adults were blown away with how they could pull them so easily. When I showed them the short cut we laughed some more. Our language skills are improving dramatically. We flip a card and say it in both languages. We both mess up so it's time for more laughter. Lionel entertains himself with make shadows on the wall that I started to do when the kerosene lamp is on. At dinner I tried to explain that I was leaving for America in a day and a half. They just couldn't figure it out. I pointed to myself..."miss donna"...then turned myself into an airplane flying around the room and said "ameria". Finally i drew a picture of me then an airplane than ameria. "ahh" they understood. They they wanted to understand when. I still have yet to master the time or day thing. So eventually i drew the moon...which was tonight. Then the sun, then the moon, then airplane the next sun. Creativity at work. I was quite proud of myself. They all got sad...especially Issach. i don't think he understood that I was just here for a wee bit. The look in his eyes is something I won't ever forget. But we managed to work ourselves into laughter again for another round of "if you're happy and you know it clap your hands"...the one song we have done about 25 times...at least. Later one of the aunties...Josphine pointed to the games and said "rwanda or america'? i said "rwanda" . "ahh. wee... tank you bery muchee".

No comments: