Monday, April 02, 2007

In Amsterdam

The journey continues. Quite a contrast to last year as my friend Erika likes to remind me. This trip I head to Rwanda with a series of "knowns." But I am confident that there will be many delightful surprises along the way too. Having seen many parts of this planet, it's especially rare for me to go back to some place I have been. I ususally keep moving forward to new places. But, in a funny way, my return to Rwanda is moving forward. My departure was a study in contrasts. My last shower for the next 2 weeks, basking in the rain of hot water contrasted to my upcoming 'African bath' of boiled water from a charcoal cooking stove placed in a small thermos mixed with cold water from a wash tube. A McDonald's send off vs eating out of my suitcase. Determining what clothes to bring vs the people people of Rwanda who mainly have 2 sets of clothes. Carrying a bag full of technology (Mac, 2 cameras, video camera etc) to capture the stories that I need to bring back to tell their story in the states in a country where 90% of the people live in mud huts. I am eager to see the kids and smother them with kisses. Seeing their faces again. Faces that have been frozen in time via my camera when I know indeed they are a year older. I am excited to know that they will be on holiday the time that I am there. Kids in Rwanda go to school year round with 2 short breaks in the year...one is perfectly timed for my trip. Another blessing. I was however looking forward to walking the 40 mins these sweet kids walk each way to and from school each day. Looks like I may need another workout routine. Will have to settle for jumping around with the kids. On that plane I thanked God that I was able to get an emergency row window. I built my little nest. The emergency door was slightly ahead of my seat so it was much warmer than usual. I took my 2 tylenol pm's as I boarded the plane, ready for a good night sleep. The only one I will likely get for the next 36 hours of travel. We had a mechanical which I slept through, barely woke up for takeoff and then unfortunately tossed and turned most of the night. Hmmm, just couldn't get comfy. Oh well, and so it goes. Several people have asked how one gets to Rwanda. My route is Mpls to Amsterdam, to Nairobi then about an hour and a half to Rwanda. Our homes are around 20 mins from the airport so once I leave Nairobi I am almost there. Total travel time is about 36 hours. Thanks to Cathy Storms who provided transportation and a big send off hug just one month prior to her wedding. Thanks Cathy. Catherine Bension sent my final inbound blackberry email of inspiration as I was boarding the plane. Yes, my fingers/thumbs will get a rest from their perpetual "2 thumbing" on my blackberry. Everything thus far has been simply effortless. NWA only charged me excess baggage for one of the 2 overweight bags full of supplies. I was able to easily convert some more $20s to $50 and $100. Rwanda has a unique money system. They don't take US $20s nor do they take bills older than 2001. Why? Not a clue. Thankfully Chantal serves as my bank when I arrive as there are no ATMS. No travelers checks are accepted and credit cards are only accepted at the 2 nice hotels. I suppose there are benefits to a cash society...less debt. That's it for now. Hopefully I will be able to jump back online in Nairobi. If you don't hear from me for quite some time it just means that the internet was down from here forward. Fear not, I travel under the wing of protection of God. "It's all good" as Jack Rooney would say.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm very excited to read about your wonderful work Donna!