Thursday, April 12, 2007

Thankful on Easter

Saturday 4.7 Another perfect day. Slept until 8ish then went to greet everyone in the home. The morning greeting is quite a production. I say goodmorning with a hug or handshake, they say it in kinyarwanda and remind me how to say it. The boys are soooo excited to see me each day. The contrast in pace between the 2 homes is remarkable. Home #1 is tiny and packed full of people and energy. Since we have only 5 kids in the 2nd home with 3 babies it gives me lots of time with Issaich and Renorie (Lionel). We play a game of throwing the ball and just hanging out. Today they taught me to count to 10 in kinyarwanda. I kept forgetting "2" which they thought was the craziest thing they had ever experienced. They kept saying in a laughing. Around 10 am I said i was going to the 1st home and asked for permission to bring the boys. Everyone seems to like the idea. The kids have fun, the staff get a break and the people at the 1st home seem to think Miss Donna is quite entertaining with my funny ways. I played in the house for while, sang some songs and then went outside. The adults came out but keep their distance so they can take in the fun but mostly so they can keep working as the wash, cooking etc takes place outside. The chaos of the kids is exhausting, but great fun. Today they brought out the 2 bikes that 11 year old Anthony bought them for Christmas. They are clearly their prize possession. Thank you Anthony! about 9 kids share the 2 bikes so it is a bit challenging, but they are really happy to have them. The moms and kids who were staying at the Mbanda's came by to say goodbye before they headed to the states. The kids really enjoyed playing together. One of their kids fell in the dirt and started to cry. Kababy followed him around with a sincere look of concern on her face. When he sat down she sat next to him and put her arm around him. Yes, she is my sweetie pie. Then one of the boys from New Hope cut his head by walking under the swing. The swing set seats are metal with sharp edges, the seat also lean a bit forward so it's quite a challenging keeping everyone safe. At first we thought it was a big gash so I ran to the other house to get my bandaids and antiseptic but when I returned it was ok. Thankfully. I also grabbed from of the cough medicine that Lynn sent along with me. Kababy had a terrible cough as do many of the kids. Their lungs sound bad. I wonder if we should think about sending over vitamins to see if make a difference. A note on the milk. It come fresh each day on a bike in 3 tins bottles. The staff then boils it. The kids pour it back and forth between 2 cups to cool it a bit before they drink it. It's still hot, just not boiling. Life around the homes is busy. Laundry by hand, cooking over charcoal. Changing the beds from the wetters. It all takes time. The house is simple. Beds, 5 chairs, 2 small couches and a table/chairs, one dinette to keep the plates, cups, school paper etc. A few toys. We need more. The balls are big hits as are the bikes and learning toys. We ate lunch at #1. I was trying to figure out if I needed to take the 2 boys home to eat there, but it seemed to be ok. The staff was trying to watch the genocide ceremony on the 10 inch tv that they have. We left around 230 so everyone could enjoy a nap, including Miss Donna. The kids just love hugs. Paul and Rose Mary don't leave my side. Especially Rose Mary today. I picked her up and simply could never put her down. I tried to gently put her down, then shake her off, the she would just hang onto my leg while i walked. Eventually she ended up on my back for the afternoon. Issach/Reonaire and I played the ABC matching game. ABCs are on separate cards, then pics with words under them that you are supposed to match. it was slow going. This one may be a bit too advanced for now. i had asked Chantal if I could go to a catholic church for easter vigil. She arranged for Sara to walk me there. I asked her what time i should be ready. She said 12. Midnight. Ok, a bit late, but I guess that makes sense. At 7 pm she arrived for us to leave. I guess we still can't get the time translation down. :). I quickly dressed, douced myself in mosquito spray and headed to the church with her. I was so excited to go on an extended walk. Everyone greeted me in the street as we passed to say hello. They say "moo la ho"...which is hello. I say in in return. Then they ask me in return and are are surprised to hear me say "knee may za"...which is " i am fine". They giggle and walk a bit to stare at me. We passed someone who visited the home and she told Sara to tell me that I am a "good mama". The walk included cutting through a wooded area, across some fallen logs etc. When we arrived at the clearing we saw a beautiful new church. Truly it was terrric. Modern brick witha tin roof. Wooden benches, lights, and a sound system. I heard some singing coming from another building. It was the choir rehearsing. We peeked in the back door that was open. The choir director finished the song and then came out to greet me. Eventually they made me come to the front to speak with them. They asked a few questions via someone who could speak English. I asked if they knew any songs in English. A young lady sang something for me. Then they made me sing 2 songs for them to thunderous applause. The mass was 4 hours, but I was well prepared this year. I brought my own bible and noted the readings for holy thursday, good friday and easter vigil so i could find something to do when the priest was preaching. As in the states, the service starts outside with a bonfire, then candles are lit for the procession. Somehow everyone got a candle but me. After the mass I was surprised to see Cheeza and Thomas the night watchmen for the 2 homes. They had come to the church at midnight to walk us home. How thoughtful was that? Thankfully Miss Rwandadonna had packed her headlamp so the journey was easier. I don't know how they people walk in the dark through these road full of ruts. Truly I would have fallen at least a dozen times had i not had the light. (According to Man Vs Wild your eyes do adjust, I just haven't given it a try). People were everywhere as the church held about 2000 people. The staff was up to say Good Night Miss Donna except "Estar", she calls me Mister Donna....same as my last visit....but I've grown to love it. Happy Easter...all is right with the world.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Happy Easter, Donna! Sounds like you are having a fabulous time.

Leah