Friday, July 23, 2010

You may have heard of Fatima, Lourdes and our Lady of Guadalupe…but did you know there was/is Our Lady of Kibeho?

Donna here -Today’s entry is a serious entry. It’s an honest sharing of faith. Feel free to skip this one if it’s not your cup of tea – and join us tomorrow.

I think it was about my 3rd or 4th trip to Rwanda that some people asked me if I had been to Kiebho. Had I heard about Mary (as in the Virgin Mary’s) appearances there? “Nope” was my reply and I let it slide. Then I googled it and saw that it far from our New Hope Homes in Kigali and let it slide. I also learned that Immaculee Imabegeza – the Author of Left to Tell – the story of her survival for nearly 100 days in the 4x5 ft bathroom with 7 other women during the genocide – had written a book about it.

So on my last here in January we did a road trip to Kiebho with Kristen Cavallo and our big kids. You can read the humorous in a prior blog. I didn’t really know much at the time other than Mary had appeared to some young girls there in the early 80’s and in it’s height 100,000’s of pilgrims would come to this site. I also learned that one of the young girls – now grown was still on site to meet visitors. It sounded amazing.

On that trip we just missed the woman, but toured the grounds with the kids and learned more about the story from a young boy who followed our group around and then our kids translated for us.

Today was different.

Today was well prepared for what was to come. I had read Imaculee’s book 2 times and was attempting to begin to comprehend what was in store for us. I also prayed that with no warning that Anathalie would be here today and I could meet here. Passengers for this trip were Abby, Sarah and Chantal’s daughter Erica. All woman of faith and open to understanding more about the Catholic tradition and what the day was about.

The trip took 3 hours with the last 45 mins a dirt road, but substantially improved from my last visit. When we arrived a the beautiful mountain top I paused to soak it in this time. We approached the beautiful church and took in the grounds which were mainly vacant. We asked through a translator is Anathalie was here today and was told she was not yet here. I breathed in and thought…ok, well if it’s meant to be it will be. We make a quick stop at the “squatty potty’ as Sarah calls them and when we returned our driver informed us that she was here! My heart lept for joy and I began to ensure I had everything I needed. We knocked on the door and she welcomed us.

I was hoping to skype my parents in to listen (yes…we now have a modem) but were informed that the church must pre-approve any recordings etc …so skyping would seem a bit too much. She then asked us to turn off our phones and those with gum to remove it was we were in a holy place. We sat on chairs and just soaked the love. She lead us in a prayer in Kinyarwanda and then I thanked God for her and all that she is doing to share the story.

After prayer she asked (Erica and our driver Gilbert translated) what we would like to know. I asked her to simply share her story. She began with how Mary 1st appeared to her when she was 17 years old. If you read the book or fan our Lady of Kibeho on facebook you can learn about the other visionaries.

Mary’s message was to love each other and to trust in God. She also wanted people to pray the rosary ever day. The rosary she was particularly fond of is the 7 sorrows. Those are the sorrows that Mary experienced as the Mother of Christ taking us on the journey of Simeon fortelling of his birth, his role in history and the death he would endure…all the way thru his burial. She told Anathelia that life can come times be hard. That we have burdens to bear – but in those sufferings we should connect to Christ’s suffering for our sins.

We asked her to describe what Mary looked like. She paused and said…there are no words to describe her beauty. That she was like a young girl, but full of such wisdom and maturity. Her skin was neither black nor white. She wore a white long dress with a blue head scarf that came to the ground. She was very tall. There was a light around her yet not too bright as to block her eyes from seeing her.

If you read the book you will learn lots more about her many appearances and how the church came to sanction them etc etc. You will also learn how she foretold of the genocide that was to become.

We asked about how she survived the genocide as over 20,000 people were killed in the hills near here and 200,000 in that region of the country. She said the military came an encircled their small area to protect it. She would have to sneak out late at night if she wanted to help someone. She said death was all around her. Then the military men switched sides and became quite violent. In that window of time she was able to sneak out and get to safety with some other nuns.

The shine area was then closed for quite some time after the genocide.

Anathalie returned and intend to be here until the day she dies to speak with visitors who come. Imagine taking the that commitment as a 17 year old. Today we believe she is about 45.

Continuing on, we asked her about the songs she used to sing to Mary. She talked about some of the songs Mary liked to hear. I asked her if she would sing one of the songs that Mary taught her and she agreed. She paused and found her sweet voice and sang. I practically melted in the moment trying to imagine her learning this song from Mary and now sharing it with us. In the moment, I forgot to ask the meaning. In the book there quite of few songs listed that will have to do.

She told us that Mary would talk about ‘watering the flowers’. It was a way she bestowed blessings on people as the Visionaries would sprinkle people with water. Mary said we call needed water ask some people a fragile, others are strong but we all need water to thrive.

She also talked about how important it is to convert our hearts and have faith.

Anathalie spent about 40 mins with us just patiently answering our question and being present. In the end, I told her that I had timed the trip to celebrate my Dad’s near death experience 3 years ago next week and how he was a believer and prayed the rosary every day. I also shared how Mary came to my Aunt to tell him that Mary had told her that he would survive and shared what she had told us about those messages. She listened attentively.

When we finished, I bought some rosaries and other memorabilia and then asked we could take a photo. She agreed.

In her presence, there was an aura much like I felt when I was with a neighbors Dad when he was dying. A fullness of heart and bit of light headedness. I asked the group if they felt the same. They did too and we assumed it was because we were hungry and thirsty

I was able to quickly phone Mom and Dad and simply allow Dad to say hello to her. She simply said Hello Matt – and I’m sorry – as she didn’t speak any English. YEAH Dad…a least he was able to have 1 personal moment with her.

After our goodbye hugs I the rest of our group went in search of lunch and I just wanted to be present and soak it in. I sat in the outside courtyard at the top of the hill where there are benches in a circle surrounding a statue of Mary. There are flower beds under the statue with 7 petals. Anathalie has explained earlier that those are for the 7 sorrows and the star in the middle was to reflect Mary’s visit to this remote part of Africa. Then I went to the chapel and back outside to pray the rosary. I had sent all the rosaries back with the rest of our group so I did as my Father has told me many times…You have 10 fingers…the work perfectly to pray the rosary.

As I was sitting there, Anathalie came over and just held my hand for a bit and then gave me a hug. I kept trying to say “God Bless You” in Kinyarwanda but kept messing up. She giggled and kept trying to help me through the tough part. As she hugged me again I felt that same overwhelming feeling – very powerful.

About 30 mins later we met for the 3rd time and she pointed out where the Nuns live and tried to tell me something…but alas, without a translator it was lost. I tried my “God bless you” again and she giggled again and held my hands looking into my eyes to try to help me through it. Again the overwhelming feeling.

As she left me I stood there knowing that I will again return. She gave me her mailing address and mobile so I can coordinate next time.

I walked the grounds and tried to imagine what it was like when Mary was here and what the sights and sounds were during the genocide. With the exception of being in the city center, Rwanda is very quiet. At night you can a voice travel for a long long way. A barking down way down the street sounds like it’s right next door. So I tried to imagine that horrific sounds of the night that filled this landscape for 100 days 16 years ago. I would imagine it’s a sound you will never get out of your head.

I returned to the group for lunch – more about that tomorrow…some funny stuff.

And then we went to the school where the girls studied and saw that was left of it form the genocide. Next to it a church where 5000 people were killed. All of this just a few football fields away from where Nathalie had been for most of that time.

Next we went a few Kilometers down the road to the Cana Center. A priest made a journey to this area 20 years ago and felt he was called to stay. The grounds are stunning. It featured an 18 ft tall statue of Jesus with “I trust you Jesus” inscribed at his feet. The statue was made in Chicago. There is also a church built by a man in the states who had an incurable blood disease and after these people prayed he has a full recovery. We rang the bell to meet the priest and he toured Abby and I all over the grounds as he shared his vision for the location. After 20 years they just got electricity 10 days ago and that is sure to make a huge difference.

Abby was trying to learn if the Visitation Nuns that live in her Neighborhood in North Mpls happened to be the nuns here tending to our Lade of Kibeho as those nuns asked her to bring greetings to there sisters in Rwanda. Alas it is not that group but told us where their two cloistered communities are. Next time Abby ☺

For me this was a very personal journey. I have shared it with you as best I am able. I know much of what I have shared is hard to comprehend, but I do believe it. Fully. I took on this journey as another step in faith to thank God for giving us a second chance to get our lives right as a family when he brought my Dad back from near dear 3 years ago July 26th. I thank Mary in her role of providing proper notice so we could get Dad back from Arkansas and to the Mayo for treatment.

It’s all a bit to much to soak in at the moment. I don’t know if you will have taken the time to reach the end of this entry. If you have, then I hope somehow it has strengthened your faith or perhaps made you a bit more curious.

And bit about the rosary. Know that Mary wanted everyone to learn to pray it. She did not see if as a “Catholic thing” . Abby , Sarah and Erica asked that I teach them. I am delighted to as I just learned it 3 years ago during Dad’s recovery and treasure it.

Ps Imaculee is leading a retreat to Kibeho on the 30th of this month. You can learn more on her facebook page or her blog.

1 comment:

jane says said...

Donna - this is a wonderful story and yes I did read it all the way through. I glad you were able to experience it.