Thursday, April 05, 2007

So much to tell.

At a later date I will share the crazy story of my time in Nairboi...but for now I will move forward as I only have 1 hour of computer time at a cyber cafe about 3 hours from Kigali. 1 hour may sound like a long time...but on dial up it's about 10 mins. After a delay in Nairboi followed by a mechanical problem I was finally on my way. A hour flight to Buruni, 1 hour hold on the ground and then 20 mins later I was finally in Kigali. After i passed through customs I was searching for Chantal, but I didn't spot her. Oh no, perhaps she had the wrong day. I looked about and finally spotted a woman holding a sign with my name. Chantal and Mbanda were out of town with 17 guests from the states who are hearing exploring creating a huge sports camp for kids. The woman was Mbanda assistant's and she spoke a bit of english. I asked if we could stop and get water. No problem. A case of water in a small car bumping our way down the street and we were off. It felt so familiar. I knew where we were going and marked the terrific progress that had been made in the past year. We arrived at the beautiful new home that just opened 2 months ago. We have 4 kids there. Providence who is 4 weeks old, Zach about 6, Reneree about 6, Silve 1 year (she had been found in the bushes the day i left and has been in and out of the hospital since) and to my surprise Dorcas. Dorcus was just 4 weeks old when I was here last time and I delighted to see her since I expected her to be in the 1st home. She got quite the fro. The mommy and aunties greeted me warmly. I knew one of them from last time. It was a regular old reunion. I asked Mbanda's assistant if we could go to the 2nd home before she left. It's just a short distance...up a dirt road and around the corner. It was exciting to just walk up to the house without Chantal getting them all worked up. When I arrived the kids came running. I didn’t really expect them to remember me a year later but in my heart I sorta hoped there would be some type of connection. The kids come up and greet everyone who arrives so I know it wasn’t just for me. Then we sat on the floor and began to play. Within about 5 mins, Fabiola, the oldest, looked at me and started to sing the ABC song I taught them last time. The other kids joined in. They all look so good. They are healthier and so happy. Sweet Paul and Rose Mary whose mother (dying from aids) had brought them to the home 2 days before I left last time were sooo happy now. When I left Paul had cried nonstop for 36 hours. Rose Mary was really distant. Now they were bright and bubbly. Marie Rose who weighed 28 pounds at age 4 as she had been eating beans and potatoes from the garden and had a huge distended stomach when last I saw her is now simply stunning. She’s quite a beauty. Sabrina is even more playful and yes the little girl name Dorene aka Kababy (silly one) who stole my heart last time snatched it right back. She knew exactly where to sit in my lap and claims that spot as her own. I am completely in love with this little charmer. Deborah is can now walk at age 2 despite her cerebral palsy. She’s adorable. I could go on and on about each child. All I know for sure is that the love, prayers and financial support that you all have been giving has literally turned their world rightside up. The milk from the cows is blessing their bodies abundantly. I was hanging at the 1st home when the milk delivery came. He had 2 big metal bottle strapped to his bike. Yesterday I saw the drive he had to make each day. It must take him and hour each way and there is a huge hill on the return trip. Thank you Bill, JoAnne and William for 2 beautiful cows. You will never know what you have really done. It was so much fun having to translate without Chantal trying to get the ball rolling. I took the teaching materials that I had brought this time and began to figure out some words. I would point to the color or object and say it in English..then they would tell me in kinyarwanda. We laughed until we split a gut. We did ok…and those things that we couldn’t figure out they just looked at me with puzzled faces and we laughed and gave up. The second home does not have any electricity yet. The stove is a charcoal cooking stove outside like we had last time. The sink in the bathroom has a tiny tiny stream of water and the bucket provides the African bath. Except for last night where I used a tiny bottle of water…but you’ll have to wait for the next entry to hear about that one. No electricity makes for good humor and lots of love. You just sit on the floor with one small candle and sing or play. They do have a battery powered radio to listen to songs and dance. There are simply no distractions other than the constant work. I tried to help do some wash in the bucket but they laughed and me and said ‘no miss donna’…I said eggo…which is yes…and they said “no no no”…we laughed and I lost the round. I brought these terrific lights that you hand crank for 60 seconds in order to provide about 1 hour of light…but alas they provided about 2 mins. Thankfully I brought my headlamp so I was able to easily get around in my room and the house. They do seem to be working a bit longer each day. Night one. Tylenol PM and happy as the right to be in life.

No comments: