Saturday, April 22, 2006

saturday continued... I finally broke into the canned Sam’s Club chicken that Chantal had given me. I also peeled two large carrots that we bought at the market a few days ago. Oh my, it's the most I've eaten since I got here. I felt like how the Survivors must feel after a large reward ceremony. Chantal offered to have the people cook for me, but that seems inappropriate. Their hands are full. Of course we all know it’s really about my textural eating issues! I had hoped to get to church last night or this evening, but I certainly can't wander outside along and don't want to impose. Given the road construction, a taxi is not an option. I would certainly be safe, wherever I went, but given the crowds a white person draws it's best to have someone with me. Tony and Eddie were so much fun. Tony helped me dramatically expand my vocabulary. Fabiola came into the room and started counting. If she messes up she had to start all over again. I am not quite sure she realizing that she's counting or it just a memory game. But either way, she loves it. My goal: a solid 1 to 10 before I leave. Four....is the fffffff stream knowing there is something behind it. She looks in my eyes for help. I smile and nod that her instinct are right…and the bravo…FOUR. Oh I wish I could get online to get all of this posted...but as it is, it hasn't been possible yet. I know some of you are diligently checking the blog for an update. I so want to share with you all that I am experiencing. I look forward to talking to Mom and Dad tomorrow for Easter. Blessing abound. 9:30 pm As I am turning in for the evening two ladies came to ask for English lessions, we used the new boards Eddie, Tony and I had made. Alphabet and Colors. Then we spent nearly an hour studying the Thomas the Tank engine plastic table that the kids eat all their meals at. Who knew it could provide such help? We used it for words and concepts like table, colors, number etc. It came to be clear that while the ladies could count in order to 10 and some to 20, they really didn't know which number was which. I didn't learn this until I began to randomly ask them which number was which. Since I knew they liked to sing, the alphabet song was a hit and very helpful. When I pointed out a letter, they would hum the sung until they got to the one I was pointing at…90% accuracy. I was so proud of each of them. They were great students. An hour and half later they said "finish". I was fried and energized all at the same time. How great would a dictionary be? Where is Pat Kubiak when you need him? Here are some of the words as best they sound to me. Hi: bee tay Hello: moo la hoe Txs: moo rah goo zay Adorable: mweza White: voozoomga Friend: en shore tea Good Morning: wa ra moo say Happy Easter pa see ka nze za What is your name: we twan day i am fine: moo may sea mootea my name is donna: knee twa donna God bless you: emanah ee goohay oo moo gesha understand: see beyo water: amazee Some key words for the kids listen: umva Share: goo say gear rah smart: o zee oo gain ya look; lay va nose: ezooroo no: ah ya yes; eggo come: gawe no give me your hand: e ma oo koo bow quo eyes ah ma so misc truck e mo dough ka flower oo rah bow excuse me; nikko hands; ah ma bow koo As so it goes...when it comes down to it...it's quite humorous to see the basic words that are needed to get by.

No comments: