Saturday, April 22, 2006

Gorilla's continued. We approached the stone wall. Peering over we find a couple of gorillas. Right there. Right in front of us. Eventually they move on and so we do. The guides pull down a few stones from the wall, we all carefully climb through and the adventure begins. One blissful hour of adventure. At the first slight clearing the gorillas decide to chill for a moment and continue to eat. We stand there. Just watching. Taking our guides directions very seriously. We are within 5 feet of several of them. One is in a tree above our heads. They seem to not mind us. Humans are allowed to be around them for only 1 hour per day. We continue on. It's so hard not to point at one doing a particular thing. Occasionally one will come emerge and walk literally right by us. The gorilla's nose are their fingerprints so the guide knows them each by name. We are allowed to whisper. It’s hard to whisper when you want to yell from the top of your lungs “this is soooooooooooo cool!!!!!” Occasionally we are retreat to retreat. Quickly. Then still. No flashes are allowed for it frightens then. A sweet woman has to ask me each time if her flash is on or off as every time she closes the lens it re-sets to an auto-on flash position. We each try to get in various positions for photos that position the gorillas behind each of us to record our accomplishment. Slowly steadily. The guide tells us how to move, wear to sit and when to immediately get up…but always slowly. I manage to get great individual shots of everyone. Mbanda struggles with my camera. But I "think" we eventually got one. An unexpected benefit of my trip….n early Christmas card photo, could this trip just get any better! I looked ragged in the picture, but who cares, some of these gorillas weigh over 700 pounds, and I’m in the picture with them. This is amazing. The guide grunts and whines to mimetic their sounds. I can only imagine Dian Fossey’s experiences during her years of living among their midsts. The guide frequently couches us “together, together, together”. We are moving like smashed sardines and loving it. Since I was often the person right after the guide I was the one to advance when he slowly motioned us to come forward. One time he told me to come when outta no where a gorilla immerged in my path “back, back, back” was the command. All movements are need to be slow but it’s hard to do that when there is a clear urgency in his voice. I had a few challenges working my way through the bush. A camera in one hand and a sock on the other made climbing in thick bush difficult without taking a nose dive. Those with gloves could easily steady themselves with a branch. Thanks to the guide and his quick hand, I never completed any of the tumbles that were initiated. He had briefed us that at times the babies will come right up to the humans and touch or brush them. We had no such encounters…half of was anxious to experience it. We did get to witness two babies goofing around and wrestling. So cute. Today was a day that I missed mom and dad, for surely this day would have been a day that seems like our traditional trips. Mom would have been a bit frightened but she surely would have done it. Dad would have wanted to go back for more. When I left America I had wondered if I would feel lonely traveling half way around the world alone….as I am usually with family or friends when I travel. I surprised myself by being so focused on the experiences that filled each day that I with the exception of thinking about the pitch team; I never had time to think about life outside of this special country. Except today. Today Mom and Dad would have made this experience even more rich. “They’ll have to come next time” was Chantal’s vote. After an hour in among them we head back for the clearing. I quickly realized that if our guide had left us I would have had no idea of how to find our way out. I supposed down hill would have been a start…but a long way. Once again I was thankful he was with us. The mountains are green and lush. The air is so fresh. Chantal comments on it frequently as it is such a contrast to the dirt and dry air of the city. The area is surrounded by volcanoes so the soil is rich for plentiful harvest. They can produce 3 potato crops per year. As we head back down the mountain with our sticks I stop to photograph the green, the children running to check us out etc. As the group gathers to receive their official paperwork for having completed the trek, I wander off to meet children and some of the teenagers hanging out. They are eager to see their photo in the screen. Hanging with the locals is much more fun for me than celebrating with others. Muddy, dirty and amazed. Our adventure comes to an end. Mbanda offers to drive an hour to the biggest lake in the country for lunch. I thank him for his generous offer but insist that I came to help and I miss the children. It’s time to go home. These two are so generous. Mbanda took a day off work, went through a tank of gas to get us there and now they are offering to drive over two hours (hour each way) to show me the magnificent Lake Kivu. It made me pause to think if I would have made a similar offer in the states? So much to learn from these people. The owner of the hotel takes us to see the new Jack Hanna is building. (Yes, Jack is the guy with the longest-running and most-watched syndicated wildlife show in the world).. We tour and take pics. I head out to chat with the workers who are planting grass. Blade by blade again. They laugh at my sentence structure and words...but hey, at least I am trying. My cough continues to get worse. I consider getting to the internet to ask Linda to set up an appointment for my return. This sill cough has now be with me for nearly 3 months. An urgent care visit a month does not seem to be helping. I had hoped the fresh air of the mountains might have some healing effect. I was thankful that God heard my prayers not to give me a serious coughing fit among the gorillas. Chantal and I nap as Mbanda shepards us back to Kigali. Back in town, we swing by the bookstore to see if they have a book that Mbanda wrote. Hmm, another layer...he is an author too? They just casually mention it. But the small store is out of them. They do however have 55 notebooks and crayons so we are able to get them for Compassion kids. Thank God for Chantal for so many reasons. But on this occasion, I am thankful that she turns into my personal banker. No one takes credit cards here. Dollars are not usually welcome. I give her dollars and she gives me a great exchange rate. Previously we have discussed the wide range of exchange rates available so she knows what is best. We stopped by the new home construction. Some windows went into today. It was exciting for them. Mbanda...I have since learned his first name is Laurent aka Larry with the last name Mbanda noticed I was tired. With no sleep, the incredible gorilla trek and an endless cough, he was right. I was so excited to see the children. They came running to greet us as it was the first time I had not slept there. Sabrina hugged me and was finally comfortable with me. She was sporting a new hairdo and it was a magnificent work of art! Sassy braids all over her head. She was precious beyond words. We all played until bedtime. I felt like I was home. Jackie had quit yesterday saying the work was too hard. She worked nonstop from 6 am until 11ish. Endless cooking, cleaning etc. She had asked for help but they were trying to keep the budget reasonable. I was sad that she was gone, but such are the challenges of a ‘start-up’ operation. The new worker’s name is Francioise. She is very sweet. She has a nice way about her. Immediately I could see the difference. Franciose has a heart eager to be with the children and to help. Chantal tells of how most workers feel like they belong outside. Rarely do they enter the home unless working. Fracoise feels very much at home inside. The other new hire was a no-show today. We learn there are two more children coming from SOS. Plus the two we already know about who are processing paperwork and this home is now full. Chantal2 and I hug to see each other. I am greeted with freshly washed linens. I thank God that for the first time in my life I am actually traveled with my own pillow...it has served me well on planes and here. Although I am quite honored to be the only one in the home with a pillow that was provided by them. 10:51pm ...everyone is now quiet. "Diana" as they often call me....Donna is hard to pronounce needs an African bath. We have an early morning to meet the 2 children. Johnson stops by to say hello. He helped with a bit of translation questions for Chantal2 and me. Life is sweet.

No comments: