Saturday, April 22, 2006

monday continued. I am journaling in the main room tonight. I tried to inquire about English school tonight. The answer appears to be no. But then Johnson appeared and asked questions… then Jackie (jack kay) appeared but said no. She sat on the couch across from me and just kept staring. I thought she was just curious so I let her be, looking up with a smile occasionally. Finally she looked at me and said "my name is jackie". She is the primary cleaner in the home and also does the laundry. I don't think she had any handle on English prior to my arrival so I thought it was remarkable that she had remembered this sentence from the last lesson. I immediately put down my book and began the lesson. The children ate dinner late tonight given the guests for the birthday party so they we focused our conversational English class on dinner and getting them dressed for bed. " Baby has white shirt". "Children are eating with spoons." "Children have bowls". Man/Woman. They seem to have a thirst for sentences., so we mix up individual words and sentences. Again they asked me to do my show and tell with my expanding Kenyawranda language skills when the group gathered. They cheered me on and marveled at my success in one week. I think the words are made especially difficult as there is no root in any language that I have heard. The other problem is I am working on so many words that I often forget the basics that I started with. My little notebook is rarely gone from my side. If it is, I run to the other room to get it while they patiently wait. I sure wish we had an English/Kenyawranda dictionary. Tomorrow we are getting an early start to register Fabiola for school. Lee Baker's generous donation will pay for school and a portion of her books for one year. Supplies run about $200. It's sure to be a big day for her. I did a short video clip with her thanking Lee. Chantal decided that the rest our funds will go to start the garden. We need a total of about $10,000 to get the garden going. Our dollars will be a big help in that area. I am not sure where they are going to keep the cows yet. I know there is not space at the current home. They currently pay the guy that sold them the cows to keep them and he gets to sell the milk and keep the profits...seems like a bum deal to me. Such a week. Hope Rwanda kicks off tonight. Now I better understand the t-shirts I saw on the plane on the way down. It is a huge event to kick off 100 days of all sorts of volunteers coming to help in the country. The anniversary of the genocide is honored this entire month. The New Hope Home being open for 2.5 months. Easter. Meeting people who have chosen to really make a difference in countless lives. And the simple beauty of Doughlanay's giggles. Life is good. My timing is perfect. Thanks Norm for doing double duty and supporting this trip. A special thanks to all of the folks at CM who are at this very minute busting butt to get a big pitch out the door. I thank them for their amazing support of this trip and send them good thoughts for tomorrow afternoon.

No comments: