Thursday, December 31, 2009

The countdown begins 12.31.09

We’re about 4 hours away from new years here in Rwanda. Alas my sore throat and loss of voice have kept me in bed for a good portion of the day. I figure it best to knock it out fast so I can get back into gear. By early evening I popped out to see the kids who are still trying to figure out why I don’t have much of a voice. Thankfully two young ladies Kelly and Sarah are here and doing a great job. They’ve been singing and doing school work. They also went to Chantal’s home yesterday to bake cookies and brought them out today for the kids to frost. Excellent pre-planning from the States on their side. I may have to do that next time. It reinforces how many people come through our kids lives every year to add just another touch of grace and love to them. Most they will never see again, and some like me, they will never stand of chance of losing. I’ve signed up for life! But each, in their own way bless these kids and leave a LASTING imprint. I am so impressed with the kids command of English now. It’s really come a LONG way in the past 11 months. We also did a fun new thing today…we skyped! I sent a computer over in March with some other volunteers and have been funding the wireless here but haven’t been able to pull off a call. Today we did. We skyped with The Pursey family who was able to meet Kayitesti. Susan Pursey rallied friends and co-workers to raise $1100 in the past 3 weeks to pay for her boarding school. Kayitesi loved speaking with their kids Bryn and Beckett. Bryn even braved the MN snow to show them how to sled. Next we connected intermittently with my Mom as the video kept dropping too. The Kittleson’s were next. Then out of no where Tina Puente’s Dad called me on skype. Totally great humor. I passed my love to Tina via him. I hope we can keep making calls so people in the states can get to meet our kids close up. Today I told the Kids the Liles is bringing computers. The look on their faces was indescribable. They are SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO excited. At the moment we have one XO computer that the Kvam’s donated last year. These traditionally sized computers filled with kids software is sure to open up serious new doors for our kids. Thanks to Roxann, their friends and the folks at Campbell Mithun for sending these along with Liles. My only mistake was telling them about the computers today because as the evening presses on they all keep asking “what day?” “When do the computers come?” Liles, you’re sure to the hit of the party. We just have to wait 7 LONNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNG days for your arrival. I also got an opportunity to meet Eric Mbanda who is visiting from the states. Another facebook friend turns 3d and it’s wonderful. I wish he were staying longer so we could get to know each other better. The house is now still. Everyone went down to the compound to play and ring in the new year. Claudine the Auntie who is my home went to church to ring in the new year. She’ll be there from 9 pm until 6 AM. I would love to be at either place but for now, I need to get rid of this throat issue. FAST. I may have the guard walk me down to the compound just prior to midnight…or just stay here and soak it all in solo. Nice reflection time. Thank you for sharing in our journey. My prayers as I set out on this trip were that I would learn what I needed to learn here, have the wisdom to meet the kids needs and the discernment to determine how we can best help them next. I will keep my eye on these three and thank you for caring enough to follow along. PS. Thanks to Ashley’s WONDERFUL additional funds, we now have raised enough to send Innocent to boarding school. Just a few hundred more needed to help with Kayitesi and we’re set. If you care to dump some year end tax money, just click on the button to the right of this post or go to calmministries.org. May your new year -Your new decade = bring you unspeakable joy and deep wisdom.

No comments: